Wednesday 23 December 2009

Love my Netbook

Netbooks have been around for a couple of years now and I have an eeePC 901. I have just started thinking about how much it has changed the way that I work.

I should say that my eeepc runs eeebuntu not xp which came with it. This is an Ubuntu distribution that is made for the eeepc and it work flawlesly. Super quick to boot and hasn't slowed down over time.

I used to have a full sized laptop that went everywhere with me. It had about an hour's battery life so needed to be plugged in to actually get any work done.

I now carry my eeepc around in my satchel as a matter of course. It is solid state so there is no HDD. If I drop my bag the netbook is fine. At a pinch I get 5 hours of work out of it which is enough for emergencies in my experience. If I am at a customer site for an extended period I either borrow an LCD, keyboard and mouse or bring my own. Then it is just like using a desktop. The eeeBuntu OS connects through my nokia 6600 slide to get the internet. I can work anywhere.

I still use my desktop for heavy development work but the old laptop has been seconded by my kids cause I never use it.

The key to the success of my netbook I think is the fact that it has no HDD and can handle the knocks. It is always with me and because of that I am always using it.

1 comment: